The Oregon Nikkei Endowment’s mission is to preserve and honor the
history and culture of Japanese Americans in the Pacific Northwest,
to educate the public about the Japanese American experience
during World War II, and to advocate for the protection of civil rights
for all Americans. The major projects of O.N.E. include the Japanese
American Historical Plaza – a permanent memorial to the Oregon
Nikkei and their unwavering pursuit of liberty, equality and justice
as American Citizens – and the Oregon Nikkei Legacy Center – a
museum that houses and preserves items of historical importance as
well as providing a site for cultural and research activities.
Educational resources include:
- Permanent exhibit at the Legacy Center, celebrating the lives and
contributions of Oregon’s Nikkei community.
- Visiting exhibits focusing on art, culture, history, civil rights, sports
and other relevant topics.
- Speakers for schools, services clubs, and community organizations.
- Museum in a Suitcase, a portable exhibit for classroom
presentations by our speakers.
- Guided tours of the museum exhibits and of the Japanese American
- Research library
Oregon Nikkei Endowment
121 NW 2nd Ave.
Portland, OR 97209