The 1399 Engineer
The 1399 Engineer Construction Battalion was
created on April 26, 1944, and stationed at
Schofield Barracks in Honolulu.
The 1399 was formed from the 367th Engineers
and four smaller non-combat battalions: the
395th Prewar Quarter Master Battalion, the 370th
Engineers, 1536th Dump Truck Battalion, and the
1525th Base Equipment Company.
An all Nisei non-combat unit, 1399 Engineer
Construction Battalion, included men who
volunteered for service when the ranks of the
100th, 442nd, and MIS had already been filled.
It also included draftees from the April – August
1944 draft. By November 1944, the 1399 peaked
at 993 men. It became the only Nisei outfit to
serve together in the Pacific Theater.
Dubbed “The Lost and Forgotten Battalion,” the
1399 completed over 54 major projects, including:
construction of a million-gallon water tank, jungle
training camps, air-strips, warehouses and water
They were also affectionately known as the “chow
hounds” because of their hearty appetites.
For fulfilling its Hawaiian defense duties, the 1399
Engineer Construction Battalion was presented
with the Meritorious Service award in October
1945. On May 31, 1946, following the end of
Pacific War, the unit was deactivated.